Almost every type of entertainment is rated these days. Movies, video games, C.D.'s even have parental advisories on them if they have explicit content. Now, they have gotten a little of balance these days (you can still buy a CD that has curse words on it without a parental advisory, I won't even start on the movies). There is one form of entertainment that is missing that type of warning label, rating, or advisory. Books.
Every year we participate in the local Summer reading program at our library. You read books as many books as you find time to, and record the title, chapters, and author. Now, I am the type of person who likes books that make you think. I like novels too. I suppose one of my bad habits is to judge a book by it's cover. I just figure that if the author wrote a good book, they would choose a good illustrator to go along with it. I also like to pick up the "mystery books" that just have a solid color cover. I start in the children's section, and it is shocking what you can find. Many a time I will pick up a book, read the information on the inside of the cover, and discover that it does not belong in the children's section. Every year this is the case. If these books could be rated by the world's standards, they would most definitely have at PG-13 rating. And it would not just be for violence. What really astounds me is that these books could be picked up by a ten year old, and the parents, (thinking that since it is from the children's section, it is alright) will let the child read. These are books that are just not worth being read...by ANYONE. And our libraries are full of them.
What can we do about it?? Us not reading them is one thing. But what about the people who are losing their children to these fantasies and not knowing the cause? I have seen the results that the books can leave, and it is not a pretty picture. And what of the authors that are responsible for feeding our nation this trash? If we are to make any difference, we will have to take a stand together. I caution all of you who go to the library for books to watch what you pick up. Once you have read something, it leaves a print on you that is hard to get rid of. We are to fill our minds with what is good and pure, not the worldy garbage of today.
In closing, I am interested to know what you, as the readers think we could do to make a difference. I would love to see some comments. Also, we have had a few hits from places that I am not sure of. If you could, we would love to hear from you! Thank you!
In Christ,
Paige ;)
Wednesday, December 6, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I am wondering, if we went to our local congressman, or whoever is in charge of changing things like this, that maybe we could get these books banned from our libraries. I mean, if enough people tried, and we worked together, we could make something happen. It would be amazing!
Well it is a very good point!
<3 Kayleigh
Post a Comment