Notice the pre-shredded pockets, vintage fade, and torn hem at the bottom. I am not ashamed to say that I am a lover of this appearance. But over time, I didn't like wearing them anymore because of the look they gave me. Since I wasn't working on my punk rocker reputation, I decided to stash them in the closet. Mom wanted me to throw them away...but I just couldn't part with them. About a year later, I dug them out of the closet and put them on. Since they didn't look any better, I began brainstorming what I could do with them. Cutting off the torn knees was out of the option because of the fit of the jeans, as was making them into cropped pants or capris. So I set off on the journey of trying to make them into a skirt. Let me tell you something. I DON'T know how to sew! Try as I might, I know ONE stitch. This was a challenge for me. I got out the seam ripper and began painstakingly ripping out the inseam, cutting out the shredded knees, and saving the good denim from below the holes. After much walling in, stitching, and nearly going cross-eyed from cutting fabric to fit, I came out with this.
I must say that I was rather pleased with the result. In using the only easiest stitch there is, I kept that vintage look I love, but gained a more modest appearance. The fade is still there, as are the pockets. I even cut off the shredded seams on the bottom and am using them as a hair tie. I still had plenty of fabric after that, so I also have a matching cell phone case.
I really wanted to share this with you because I know that there is a group of girls out there who are STRUGGLING to find denim skirts that they like (does anyone carry anything besides a miniskirt anymore????). I also know that at least one of our readers has a pair of jeans in their closet that they don't wear anymore that perhaps could use a revival like mine. Ladies, if I can do it, YOU CAN TOO! Just do a little research, give some time, and you'll have an amazing new skirt! Really. If you want to know exactly how I did it, you can email me at maidenology@gmail.com with "Reviving Denim" in the subject, and I'll be happy to help you. In the meantime, I'll shopping at our best thrift store playing around with some new skirt ideas using old jeans. Have a blessed Saturday!
-Paige
PS: There's one more piece of denim that came from the jeans that I turned into something else. Can you spot what it is in the skirt picture? :)

2 comments:
hey doll! Absolutely love it!!!! And she WAS having a tough time with removing the stiches. I was there so I am officially warrenting her claim!;)
Here's another idea, for use with old jeans, or any pants really. I had a couple of skirts that had just gotten a *smidge* too tight around the waist. And a couple of jeans that were extremely well loved in the knees and hem.
http://www.maj.com/gallery/Trillspots/Trilltees/noname.jpg
This was the result. This particular skirt was actually the skirt from an atrocious gift-dress, and the top of a pair of thrift-store jeans.
Post a Comment